image from keys
to the past
In the valley of the Aln, or as the locals call it the Vale of Whittingham.Locally the village is known as
Yeldom. The tower is beside the church.
There is a suggestion that the tower dates back to the 14th century
and from the NNP website
The earliest reference to the Earl's tower occurs in 1405 when it figures as one of Harry Hotspur's strongholds
which was surrendered to Henry IV