Alnwick Railway Station
The Alnwick branch originated with the Newcastle and Berwick Railway. When plans were deposited with
parliament in 1844 for the Newcastle to Berwick mainline the Duke of Northumberland refused to have the railway
coming near to Alnwick Castle.
Alnwick traders demanded a rail link and in 1846 at 2 3/4 mile double track line was authorised by act of
parliament to link Alnwick with Alnmouth station.
The line opened for freight on 5 August 1850 at the passages passengers on 19 August 1850. The original terminus in
Alnwick was a smaller unimpressive structure it was not until 1887 that the present oversize building was erected.
By the First World War the NER was operating up to 45 trains per day on a weekday most of which
continued on to Newcastle. This branchline was increasingly operated as a set shuttle service in British rail days
and was notable for the retention of steam working until the mid 1960s
An attempt was made by British Rail to reduce overheads by singling the track but this still failed to save the
route and the line was closed to passengers on 29 January 1968, freight services continued until 7 October of that
The station was then used as a warehouse for agricultural products and more recently as the location for
Source:Rural Branch Lines of Northumberland by C R Warn. ISB 0 85913 077 2 Pub 1975, 2nd ed. 1978 by Frank Graham
Follow Colin Corlett's board Alnwick Railway Station on