The original farm house for the estate which became Vindolanda. It is now a small museum with a cafe and
shop. Good exhibits as well. After seeing all the brickwork and mounds around Vindolanda it is worth while looking
at the artifacts. things like needles, shoes and bits n pieces that you would expect from any old town.
Close to the house is a stream and garden with more exhibitions and a replica temple.
Back to Vindolanda
Other related Vidolanda pages
Wells and Water, Early civilians, Roman
Vindolanda, Bath house, West
Wall, Severan barracks, Strip
houses, Granary and stores, HQ & Praetorium,Circular huts, Toilets, Temple, Replica Fort
The Google map here zooms into the museum
View Larger Map
This excerpt comes from the Vindolandsa website
Chesterholm was built by one of Northumberland's most remarkable but now
largely unknown sons, Anthony Hedley, who died at Chesterholm in 1835. The property was passed to his
daughter who put it on the market in 1842 but it falied to sell and was occupied by a number of tenants until
1863 when it was acquired by John Clayton of Chesters. It remained in his estate until it was put up for
auction in 1929, when it was bought by Eric Birley who made it his home until 1950 when it was gain sold.
Chesterholm remained in private hands until 1974 when it was purchased by the Vindolanda Trust (founded in
1970) to be made into a museum