The Egyncleugh Tower was built during the time of Thomas Earl of Lancaster after 1313.
It formed the eastern end of the south curtain wall.
The name is mysterious. In 1459 it was known as the Elgyn Tower. "Cleugh" in the Northumbrian dialect referes to
the deep ravine on the towers eastern side.
Though badly ruined, enough of the tower remains to show that it contained two levels of residential rooms,
above a vaulted passage on the ground floor. There was
then a narrow entrance into the castle with a wooden drawbridge across the ditch.