The Lilburn Tower
Named after John de lilburn, one of the constables in the years after the execution of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster
for treason in 1322. The naming suggests that he was responsible for the completion of the works.
It contained three storeys with a single room on each level, with a fireplace and two light windows on the upper
floors. There were stone latrines or garderobes projecting from the outer wall.
Like the rest of the castle the tower was in a bad condition by the mid 16th century with defects to its lead
roof and timber floors.
The tower stands close to the highest point with good all round views.
In the 14th century the fields below had been flooded to become fresh water meres. These would reflect the image
of the tower and the walls.
From the north the tower seems to stand on the top of a high cliff.