Wallington Hall Gardens
Taken from an old trust leaflet
Wallington Hall gardens are divided into two rather different halves by the road that runs to the east of
the house. Around the house itself are open lawns and herbaceous borders, which become, beyond the ha-ha to the
south, parkland sloping down to the river Wansbeck.
In 1755 Sir Walter Blackett, who laid out the basic pleasure grounds as we see them today,dammed the Wansbeck in
order to create a more impressive expanse of water, which in turn was spanned by James Paine's 3 arched bridge. The
dam has gone and the water receded but the bridge remains.
The bulk of the grounds lie across the road in East Wood. Sir Walter began the planting here and the National
Trust added shrubs and rhododendrons beneath the tree canopy in the early 1970's.
The path through the woodland forks left to the china pond.This takes its name from the ornamental chinoiserie
building put up here in 1752 by Sir Walter and dismissed by one visitor as "foolish expense". Unfortunately it has
long since disappeared.
The path to the right goes to the long garden pond that was once part of the walled kitchen garden. Only the
north wall backing the terrace remains. At the centre is the Portico house, a charming open loggia designed by
Daniel Garrett around 1740 with lodgings for a gardner.
At the end of the garden pond you step through the Neptune gate into the greatest surprise at Wallington, the
walled garden. Rising above it is the owl house,a potting shed or bothy so called because of the stone owl on the
roof.The high walls and southern aspect shelter this garden from the extremes of the northumberland climate and
allow a remarkably wide range of plants to be grown here.
Sir George Otto Trevelyan was mainly responsible for the walled garden.Along the top terrace he placed the 18th
C lead figures which are said to have come from the Blacketts Newcastle house and include Scaramouche, Perseus and
Medusa.He also built the conservatory, where giant fuschias, wall-trained geraniums, bougainvillea and plumbago
evoke the lush world of Edwardian gardening.
His daughter in law, Molly Trevelyan, designed the round pool at the near end of the walled garden, which was
called the "Mary Pool" in her honour. The Trust has also planted clematis, philadelphus and shrub roots.
The garden and park are only the beginning though. There are 13,000 acres in total.
Pictures from Wallington Hall:
The Greenhouse from the
and here is Wallington in Springtime, picture from VisitNorthumberland -
where they are blogging about a performance of "12th night " in the grass courtyard.
Author: Colin Corlett